Monday 14 July 2014

Review: Pride and Prejudice

Title: Pride and Prejudice
Author: Jane Austen
Genres: Classics, Romance.
Release Date: 1813
Pages: 279
Where Acquired: Amazon Kindle Store
Buy at Amazon Here 
- Best Book Price: £1.77 Kindle Price: £0.00 (as of when posted) 

UK Cover: 
1885

A Cover From Elsewhere (Italy): 
 3264497

Goodreads Description: 
 "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

So begins Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austin's witty comedy of manners--one of the most popular novels of all time--that features splendidly civilized sparring between the proud Mr. Darcy and the prejudiced Elizabeth Bennet as they play out their spirited courtship in a series of eighteenth-century drawing-room intrigues.


My Review: 
I came close to putting this book down a few times because as many of you may already know, I am no fan of classics and struggled to adjust to the language. However I am glad I didn't give in as I managed to adjust and read it as a normal text in the end! The beginning was very slow however when the plot finally kicked in (And with the help of pretty much watching every pride and prejudice adaption in film and TV... Colin Firth...<3...) i finally began to enjoy it for the masterpiece that it is! I completely fell in love with Mr. Darcy and the world that Elizabeth lived in. I was so glad that I pushed through the slower start and found the brilliant plot that was hidden underneath. The romance was spectacular and the plot with Lydia was engaging meaning I couldn't put the book down until I had finished it!

Quotes: 
 “I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”
“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.” 
“I am the happiest creature in the world. Perhaps other people have said so before, but not one with such justice. I am happier even than Jane; she only smiles, I laugh.” 
In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.” 


Rating: 
 

Have You Read This Book? 
How Did You Find It? 
Why Don't You Leave Me A Comment, Or a Link To Your Own Blog? 
I Would Love To Hear Your Views! 
-The Reading Rose

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 15 July 2014 at 05:54 , Blogger Christina said...

I'm so glad you liked this book, it's my favorite classic. Once you get used to the language things become much easier, and now that you've made it through one of her books the rest will not be as hard :)

Also, if you're looking to read more classics you should try out an author named Wilkie Collins. He's a Victorian mystery writer whose writing style makes things so easy to understand. My personal favorite is The Moonstone, it's a fun book with a plot twist you'll never see coming.

 
At 17 July 2014 at 07:21 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for stopping by! and thank you for the recommendation, I will make sure to take a look one day!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home