Friday 17 July 2015

Now For Something Different: Game of Thrones Season Five

 

Media Review

-Because sometimes it's good to have variety


Television - Game of Thrones


Title: Game Of Thrones (Season Five)
First Air Date: 14th June 2015
What Channel: Sky Atlantic
Genres: Adventure, Drama, Fantasy
Pre-Order the Boxset On Amazon Here
Amazon Box Set Price: £24.99 (as of when posted)

Poster:
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2015/02/GOT-S5-Poster-720x1066.jpg

IMDB Description:
Several noble families fight for control of the mythical land of Westeros.

Starring:
Peter Dinklage - Tyrion Lannister
Emilia Clarke - Daenerys Targaryen
Kit Harington - Jon Snow

Writer:
David Benioff
D.B Weiss
George R. R. Martin
+ More

Director:
Alan Taylor
David Nutter
Alex Graves
+ More

Review:

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT IN THIS REVIEW

I know the series has been finished a while now but I have only now gotten round to writing up this review so I apologise for that!

For me the first few episodes of the series were a little slow going, mostly because they were just setting the scene for the major changed that were happening later on. I loved how this series saw some characters who were in completely different plot lines actually meet. My favourite of which was the meeting between Tyrion and Daenerys. They make a good team in my opinion with Daenerys doing the strong and dangerous job of ruling and Tyrion giving her wise advice which she needs so often. My favourite characters still remained my favourites in this series as they have throughout the show: Daenerys, Tyrion, Arya and Brienne. 

However this series began to get quite dark and more fantastical than the last few with the plot emphasis on The Red Lady, the Dragons, the White Walkers and on the creepy and disturbing Ramsay Bolton. 

The action was great also with more wars and fighting than ever before but this season held greater meaning in the violence. Instead of it just being mindless like it has been occasionally before, the violence in this season all had underlying motifs which were fun to try and guess.

I have to talk about the last few episodes now. This will contain spoilers, lots of spoilers so don't scroll further if you are yet to watch the show.

First of all the white walkers attack! How creepy were they? The fight was epic, like in an old Greek or roman battle film and I was devastated over the deaths of characters that we had only met a few minutes earlier. That shows you how concise the writing of the show creators is. The death that was the saddest for me was that of the wildling woman who shipped of her kids to safety with the promise to join them soon, but that never happened. Also the children who had turned into white walkers is the creepiest thing I have ever seen!

Now for the last episode - what an episode that was and so full of death!
First of all I am going to discuss the death of Myrcella Baratheon. And although her time was short on the show her death did pack a punch or two. Mostly because for all his faults I have began to actually like Jaime Lannister and although it is absolutely disgusting that Myrcella is his child with his sister (Blergh) It was heartbreaking to see Myrcella understand this and accept Jaime as her father which is all he has ever really wanted. But then she goes and dies in his arms before she gets the chance to really know him or before she gets to marry her true love and return home to her family - heartbreaking.
The next death I really did not mind at all! Stannis Baratheon has been a hated character of mine from the minute he killed his brother but it got worse throughout the series until it came to a head this series when he killed his own daughter! I was so glad that Brienne killed him as I love her I literally cheered at my TV when it happened.
Jon's death was the most shocking though. There are many theories that say that he isn't staying dead and I believe them. They wouldn't just kill off a main character in the middle of their important plot line would they? Killing off Jon leaves so much unanswered and so many plots unfinished that it wouldn't be a good idea. I think the idea that the Red Lady will bring him back is a good one but personally i thought he would come back as a white walker as they didn't burn his body, how much of an epic and complicated plot line would that make?

On the other side there was Cersei's walk of shame. I hate the character but even I felt sorry for her walking through the streets like that. 
Personally I found Arya's story in the last episode a little confusing, good for her for killing that disgusting man but what was the thing about all the faces and stuff all about? I got a bit lost at that point.
And the question on everyone's minds. Who was that giant gold knight at the end?



Rating:
 

Have You Seen This Show?
How Did You Find It?
Why Don't You Leave Me A Comment, Or a Link To Your Own Blog?
I Would Love To Hear Your Views!
-The Reading Rose

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home